Peter is a Partner in Spencer West’s Banking & Finance and Corporate Groups and advises on matters of British Virgin Islands and Cayman Islands law. He has acted for clients on offshore transactional matters for around a decade and has previously worked as an attorney in the London office of a US law firm and the Channel Islands and Hong Kong offices of an international offshore law firm. More recently, he has led and co-ordinated the banking & finance and corporate groups of a Cayman Islands headquartered offshore law firm in Hong Kong.
Peter is widely praised for his knowledge of offshore legal matters, commerciality, responsiveness and attention to detail. He is consistently recognised as a leading offshore lawyer and has acted on some of the largest and most complex cross-border banking & finance and corporate transactions. He is sector agnostic and acts for onshore and midshore law firms, accounting practices, corporate service providers, banks and other financiers, leasing houses, private equity houses, family offices, investment funds, listed companies, other corporate entities and high net worth individuals to deal with day-to-day legal issues and complex, strategic matters. As well as having an established client base in Asia, Peter has strong client relationships in North America, Europe and the Middle East.
Examples of Peter’s work:
Banking & Finance
- Providing BVI and Cayman Islands finance law advice in connection with China Vanke’s participation in a consortium to take Global Logistic Properties Ltd private, a transaction valued at approximately US$11.6 billion which was Singapore’s largest M&A deal on record and Asia’s largest private equity buyout at the time of the transaction.
- Providing BVI law advice to China’s Shipbuilding Industry Corporation (CSIC) Leasing on its first ever ship lease financing, a US65.5 million sale and leaseback transaction with Eletson Corporation, a Greek tanker owner and operator, which was recognized as a “Deal of the Year” by the China Business Law Journal.
- Providing BVI and Cayman Islands law advice to CTBC Bank Co., Ltd on certain senior loan facilities in connection with the US$800 million acquisition of Tricor Holdings Limited, a leading provider of integrated corporate services, by Trivium Investment Limited, a subsidiary of global private equity firm, Permira.
- Providing Cayman Islands law advice to United Overseas Bank Limited in connection with the financing of the acquisition of Chinese manufacturing businesses, Broadway Foam Plastic Solutions and Compart Flow Control Devices by global private equity firm, Platinum Equity.
- Providing BVI and Cayman Islands law advice to Ping An Bank Co., Ltd. and Shanghai Pudong Development Bank Co., Ltd. in connection with a US$300 million management facility agreement and a US$800 million LBO facility agreement.
- Providing BVI and Cayman Islands law advice to the finance parties in connection with the acquisition by a consortium, led by Bain Capital Private Equity, of Trans Maldivian Airways.
- Providing BVI and Cayman Islands law advice to the finance parties in connection with the US$160 million secured financing of the take-private of JA Solar Holdings Co., Ltd., a Cayman Islands exempted company formerly listed on NASDAQ. JA Solar Holdings Co., Ltd. is one of the world’s largest manufacturers of high-performance solar power products.
- Providing offshore law advice to M&G and MetLife in connection with a £514 million loan to refinance Dolphin Square, involving over 500 offshore SPV companies.
- Providing BVI law advice to Beijing Gas on its US$700 million secured term loan facility to Beijing Gas Blue Sky and the subscription for a secured convertible bond of up to US$300 million issued by Beijing Gas Blue Sky.
- Providing Cayman Islands law advice to Silicon Valley Bank in connection with certain subscription finance facilities.
- Providing BVI and Cayman Islands law advice to the steering committee of bondholders of certain notes issued by Kaisa Group in connection with its restructuring of nearly 17 billion yuan in offshore debt involving around 70 offshore vehicles, which was recognized as a “Deal of the Year” by the China Business Law Journal and IFLR.
- Providing BVI and Cayman Islands law advice to Caldera Pacific on its US$123.7 million acquisition of a 40% stake in Dragon Capital, Vietnam’s largest asset management company, in partnership with Samsung Securities, which was recognized as a “Deal of the Year” by Asia Business Law Journal.
- Providing BVI and Cayman Islands law advice to Coliving Limited on the HK$700 million acquisition of shares in Biostime Pharmaceuticals (China) Limited, a controlling shareholder of Health and Happiness International Holdings Limited, a company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Providing BVI and Cayman Islands law advice in connection with the take- private of China Nepstar Chain Drugstore Ltd., a Cayman Islands company formerly listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Providing offshore law advice to Canada Pension Plan Investment Board and Hermes Infrastructure on their acquisition of a 33% stake in Associated British Ports from Goldman Sachs Infrastructure Fund and Infracapital for approximately £1.6 billion.
- Providing BVI and Cayman Islands law advice to certain shareholders of ChinData on its US$3.16 billion merger take-private by Bain Capital.
- Providing Cayman Islands law advice to the Alibaba Entrepreneurs Fund and Taiwania Capital in connection with a variety of series financing and preferred shares transactions.
- Providing Cayman Islands law advice to Prologium Holding Inc. on its series E+ funding round from Mercedes-Benz, New Epoch Capital, Primavera Capital Group and SoftBank China Venture Capital.
- Providing Cayman Islands law advice to Animoca-backed Forkast News in respect of its merger with CryptoSlam to form Forkast Labs, a leading platform for Web3 asset valuation.
- Providing Cayman Islands law advice to Inteluck Corporation, a leading technology-driven supply chain solution provider headed by Kevin Zhang who is listed on the Forbes “30 under 30 Asia list”, on its series C funding round from Navegar and East Ventures.
- Providing BVI and Cayman Islands law advice in connection with queries regarding the economic substance regime to a variety of clients and assisting with restructurings in connection therewith.