Sangeeta advises individuals and families across generations on wealth, wills and succession planning, as well as disputes regarding trust and estate matters.
Her expertise includes the use of estate planning vehicles such as trusts and companies, in order to protect wealth from unexpected events such as incapacity and from claims from third parties, and to manage domestic and international tax concerns.
She also provides succession planning advice to families with businesses, land and property that they wish to pass through the family line, including specialist wills and Lasting Powers of Attorney.
Sangeeta has extensive experience in all types of estate dispute, including challenges to wills, challenging or removing executors, and claims for financial provision under the Inheritance Act.
She guides her clients through all stages of proceedings relating to trusts, from applications for directions relating to complex or ambiguous trust management to claims for breach of trust and for the removal of trustees. As a seasoned litigator, she actively assists clients to resolve matters before they become acrimonious.
Her expertise in private capital matters, combined with a background in property litigation, means she is well placed to advise on wealth planning and disputes, and in particular on estates that have property portfolios. In all matters, she is methodical and works with clients to present holistic solutions to their wealth planning needs.
In her (rare) spare time, Sangeeta is a Governor for an all-girls high school and is a director for a not-for-profit company tasked with the promotion of education in the wider community. She also uses her skills to undertake pro-bono work for many local charities.
- Regularly acting on cross border estates
- Bringing an offshore trust onshore, which required refinancing properties, moving bank accounts and assets held within a BVI company
- Drafting complex wills and advising on succession for a family owned property investment company valued at £20m
- Estate administration for a motor racing team owner
- Estate administration for the wife of a former African President
- Reducing the inheritance tax liability for an estate through the application of a unique and rare cross border treaty which the UK has in force with only 4 countries in the world
- Reducing a £2m inheritance tax bill for a family by approximately 70% through careful and diligent estate planning
- Acting in a complex estate which required:
- A Beddoe Order
- Issuing a warning for the removal of a caveat
- Bringing a Part 8 claim for debt due to the estate
- Defending an Inheritance Act claim
- Applying for a Grant Ad Colligenda
- Securing specialist litigation funding
- Representing the Deputies of P who was left a significant inheritance in:
- Holding the Local Authority accountable for failing in their the duty of care
- Defending unscrupulous and unwarranted Care Home fees
- Protecting P against financial abuse by way of coercion and institutionalisation
- Arranging unfettered access to P which had been denied to the Deputies
- Successfully defending a claim for occupation rent under TOLATA and proving that the property in question fell under a trust.